Program to Open NEF Files in Photoshop via DNG Converter and ACR
Prepared 2001-12-28 by Bill Claff
NEF2ACR is a Microsoft Windows executable.
This program is provided “as is” with no expressed or implied
You may distribute the program provided that it is not
modified and that no fee is charged.
Use with right‑click and Open With on a NEF file in
Initial use will require using “Choose Program…” and browsing to the NEF2ACR
Download and Setup
- Create a folder on your computer to hold NEF2ACR.exe
and associated files.
Ideally this folder will be on the same drive letter as your NEF files as
this speeds up processing.
On my system this is “D:\NEF2ACR”.
- Download the program into the folder by using right‑click
and “Save Target As…” on this link: NEF2ACR.
These instructions may vary slightly depending on your internet browser.
- Download and place Adobe DNG Converter.exe from the
Adobe web site into the same folder.
You want at least version 4.3.1.
It is bundled with ACR 4.3.1 that you will discard.
Depending on your version of Photoshop you probably want ACR version 3.7.
- Create a subdirectory named “Temp”.
- Run DNG Converter and configure as follows (see
screenshot for an example):
- Source folder to point to the Temp
folder as created above.
- Destination folder as “Save in Same
What NEF2ACR Does
When NEF2ACR is running a small status window will appear.
- Delete all files in the Temp directory and copy the
NEF file there.
- Invoke DNG Converter (located in the same folder as
Push the Convert button for you.
Push the Exit button for you.
- Delete the NEF file from the Temp directory.
- Move the DNG file from the Temp directory to the
directory from which the NEF file originated.
- Invoke Photoshop (located via the Windows registry)
which will bring up Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
And then NEF2ACR and the status window will disappear.
NEF2ACR assumes that DNG Converter is configured as outlined.
If you use DNG Converter manually then be certain to
reconfigure afterwards for NEF2ACR useage.
I wrote this for my own use and I’m happy to share it with
Feel free to let me know about your experiences with NEF2ACR.